It’s been over 5 months since this sweet, awesome and life-changing child of mine came into this world and I don’t know how it has gone so darn fast. I am trying to keep him my baby forever but he just keeps growing: laughing, rolling, cooing, sleeping on his belly, grabbing everything and bringing more joy by the day to our family.
Last month I talked about how I was going to take the word “fitness” out of these posts because this postpartum journey of mine this time around has become so much more than just a fitness journey. It really has been about me finding my grove as a mother of three kids in four years; making time for my health & fitness; growing in my faith and understanding God’s plan for me as a mother; and truly embracing this chaotic season of my life.
My Postpartum Journey
As chaotic as it is, it is so wonderful. I lose my patience and my kids immediately forgive me. Some days we stay in our pajamas without any guilt. Most days we see a couple of friends and play until our heart is content. There are days I look at the clock around 5:00pm and am not sure how I am going to make it until 7:30 or even until daddy walk through the door so I can have an extra set of hands. Then bedtime hits and as we wind down I somehow have it in me for one more book, one more song and one more kiss & hug. This season of life is chaotic, yes, but it is oh so wonderful and I know that one day I will look back and just miss the freedom and pure joy that these days bring.
More than anything this postpartum journey has changed my faith and my walk with God. One of these days I will be able to put into words how my heart and love for the Lord has grown so deeply during this time of life.
Little Boy, S
Can he just be my baby forever? I can’t handle how fast he is growing. He is a rolling fool and the other day I caught him under the Christmas tree. He loves to give me the best open mouth kisses and is now cracking up at both his brother and his sister. He sleeps from 7pm-5:30am and then goes back to sleep and I usually have to wake him at around 8:15-8:30 so we can get on with our morning. I actually like his 5:30am wake up calls because I get a good 20 minutes with just him and a quiet house. I have given him some mashed up avocado three times and he loves it, but I am not sure I am ready for him to be eating real food. Basically he is just amazing and fills my hear to the brim!
I’ve been sticking to my five workouts a week and this is a great balance for me! I am no longer overtraining and I have never felt better in my workouts. My favorite weeks are the weeks where I get in one heavy leg day, one heavy upper body day and a good heavy full body lift. These days I enjoy lifting on my own or with my good friend who has become my lifting partner more than any other workout. It is truly Me vs. Me in these workouts and all about getting stronger. I can do one unassisted pull-up now and 110 pounds on bench press! I also ran a good 5k time (24:09) on Thanksgiving day that I was pleased with and kept up and 7:48 average pace. It just shows that you don’t have to run all the time to be able to run fast.
Well if last month my nutrition was awesome, the last three weeks have been tough in the area of nutrition. I know what makes me feel the best and what to eat and when and it has been HARD lately. I have been without a kitchen for 3 weeks now and I am out of my normal routine when it comes to eating. While I can cook, I have no sink, no countertops and it is just hard. Normally I try to get in my water, protein and veggies every single day and lately I am lucky if I get 2 out of 3 of those. To be honest my water and veggies have been lacking. I have a newfound love for Fresh Market’s meals and have a new definition of “fast food”.
My main goal right now is to get my nutrition back on track. Hopefully one more week without a kitchen and then we can resume normal eating in my house. I am also contemplating a run this winter- yet to be determined. In addition to that here is a report on how I am doing.
- Pull Ups: I got one pull-up! I am going to continue to work on more.
- 5 Workouts: I am still rocking my 5 workout a week plan. Sometimes it is HARD. For example this week I was struggling mentally so on Tuesday afternoon I went for a run. That meant I had workouts planned the rest of the week and would workout 6 times, but I stuck to it and cancelled my workout for today.
- Play: Well, if you read last month, you know how this went. It is no longer a goal!
- ENJOY: I am truly enjoying this life, this season and everything that comes with it. I am enjoying the journey I am on as a daughter of the Lord, a wife, a mother and a fitness professional. I have been better about taking it all one day at a time.
- Give Back: I have been giving back the last two months by continuing my classes at church and as well as a once-a-month class for a cause that is near and dear to my heart. The fourth quarter of this year, I started “Sweatin’ for a Cause” where I host a workout and raise funds to donate towards a specific organization. If you are local, shoot me an email and I can tell you all about it. Also, as a thank you for a great year that 2016 has been for my family, I have opened a FREE 2 week online bootcamp. You can sign up below!
Join my FREE 2 week online bootcamp for a happy, healthy holiday!
And there it is, my 5 month postpartum journey about a week and a half late- better late than never. I continue to see the bigger picture: my postpartum fitness journey is more about my whole puzzle. My spiritual life is the center of this journey and health & fitness is one way I honor God and take care of His temple. Taking care of my body by eating well and making my fitness a priority makes me a better wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend. Thank you for following along this journey.