Tacos are a well-loved, easy and a weekly meal at our house. It is so simple to make up the taco fillings ahead of time and have ready when my husband gets home from work. Beef or ground turkey can get boring every week so we usually rotate that with a few other different meats and recipes. We also change up the type of shell we use. I usually buy whole grain soft shells and will brown them. Depending on the day, I will forgo the shell and make a salad or lettuce wrap.
We all love the traditional chips, salsa and guacamole alongside taco night too. I usually also make black beans and rice or quinoa to accompany our meal as well. This works great if I am going for the Qdoba approach and making a “naked burrito”. The best part of tacos each week is that I always make extra meat so that I can have a big taco salad the next day for lunch.
Chances are if you come to our house for taco night, you will have one of these recipes:
1. Traditional Tacos: I prefer ground turkey over ground beef when eating traditional tacos. Brown your meat of choice, and add this homemade taco seasoning and viola. Taco seasoning is one of those items I no longer buy: I make a big batch every month or two, throw it in a mason jar and I always have it on hand.
2. Crockpot Chicken Tacos: Now this is about as easy as it gets: 4-5 chicken breasts and a jar of salsa in the crockpot and let it cook all day. This meat is perfect for a salad, quesadilla or basic taco.
3. Fish Tacos: These fish tacos are a bit more labor intensive, but still so delicious. I like to use tilapia, season it with Chipotle seasoning and then bake in the oven. I then use this shrimp taco recipe for everything else. One of these days I will try the shrimp too, but the tilapia is just so easy.
4. Greek Tacos: These greek tacos are great when you are not feeling the “mexican” flavor. They are super flavorful and I choose to make mine with a dairy free tzatiki sauce recipe below.
5. Crockpot Pork Tacos: You will want to thank my dear friend Heather for this recipe. Heather introduced this to me a couple of months back and I have made it several times because it is so easy and delicious. You can eat this in a taco shell of your choice and it is also delicious by itself. In the crockpot goes: 1 pork loin, a can of black beans, a can of rotel, and 1-2 tablespoons of the above taco seasoning. At the end, I also add in a cup or two of frozen corn.
Tacos every week, although good, can get boring. I love mixing up the different meats and flavors to keep taco night fun. Trying new sides and salsas can be a way to change it up too.